Watches consist of many parts, each with a distinct purpose. When operating together with other components, they become functional units within a watch movement.
- Energy Source – this can be a spring or an electric powered motor.
- Transmission – these are a series of gears whose rotations are converted into units of time (hours, minutes, seconds).
- Distribution – more often referred to as an escapement whose function is to release of the energy.
- Regulation – a balance wheel or quartz crystal that adjusts the rate of distribution at given intervals.
- Display – hands or a digital readout to display the time.